Packing and moving tips
- Put big items/furniture into storage unit ﬁrst and utilise space in drawers or wardrobes – so put them on the van last if that is practical.
- Put items you may need nearest the door – so load them on van ﬁrst.
- Fridges and freezers must be completely defrosted, cleaned and stored with the door ajar.
- Ensure all boxes are strong enough and fully ﬁlled so they do not collapse if stacked.
- Dishwashers and washing machines must be drained and hoses secured to the top of the machine to avoid residual water spilling out.
- Label the cartons and contents – it helps later.
- Vinyl records should be stored on their edges.
- Books and paperwork should be put in smaller boxes that are easy to lift and handle.
- Add mothballs to soft furnishings as protection.
- Use dust sheets as appropriate.